Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Carrying Cash = Suspicious Activity

The feds issue it; you can't pay your taxes without it; you must accept it in payment for goods and services. But if some law enforcement officer thinks the amount you're carrying is "excessive", he will detain you.

This reminds me of the time I was with my riding with my brother in his motorhome in Tennessee. He got pulled over for a burnt out tail-light, and the police said, "You won't mind if we search your vehicle."

My brother stood his ground and said no, because we were both involved in direct sales at trade shows and had several thousand $$ in cash between us. We knew that if they found it, this would qualify us for suspicion as drug dealers.

Of course, they suspected us anyway, and they told us that if we didn't let them search, we must be hiding something. They detained us until their drug-sniffing dog arrived. The dog showed interest in the sewage pipe, but gave no indication of drugs, so the police let us go.

The following video comes from Judge Napolitano's "Freedom Watch" program:

I'm afraid these violations of freedom will become more frequent and more severe in the months ahead.

No comments: