Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Discerning God's Will for Your Vocation

Back when I was a teen (in a previous millennium), I used to hear a lot of youth leaders preach and teach about "finding God's will for your life." The path they set us on was basically to pray until the Lord gave us "peace" about what we were supposed to do.

Those messages often came with the warning that if we did not do this, we might "miss God's perfect will" for our lives. It would be a tragedy to settle for God's second best.

The "God's perfect will" messages hit us at a stage of life when most of us wonder about why we're here, what we should do with our lives, when we crave a rendezvous with destiny. As a consequence, the Christian young folk I knew (myself included) tended to speak about our options in terms of God's will.

"I think it's God's will to go to college (or the army, or to work for my uncle)." "I wonder what college major would be God's will?" "I believe it's God's will for us to go steady." And six months later, "I believe it's God's will for us to break up."

As I look back , I now realize how subjective it all was and how easily we found "peace" about the very thing we wanted to do in the first place. Then we justified it by attributing our own selfish choices it to God's will.

Of course every Christian should desire to do God's will. We were just looking for it in the wrong place. Rather late in life, I discovered some principles based on the Word of God that will guide the seeking Christian not only into God's will for his vocation, but for his family life, Christian service . . . well, every aspect of life.

A few years ago, I put those principles together into a mini-course of five lessons. When my pastor saw the course, he thought enough of it to encourage the youth of our church to all sign up for it.

I am now offering these lessons free of all cost or obligation to anyone who would like to study them. Furthermore, if you'd like to make the course part of your ministry, I will supply the html code so that people can sign up for it right from your own church's (or other ministry's) website rather than having to send them to my business site.

If you're interested in making the course available in this way, contact me at gravelbelly@gmail.com

Here is the link:

Discerning God's Will

NOTE: When I go to that page using Firefox, for some reason the sign-up grid does not load if my Bookmarks or History is open in the sidebar. So, if you don't see the fields for signing up, try closing your sidebar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the article link!
In Christ-Jesse Martin

Craig Mutton said...

Jesse,

You're most welcome.