Thursday, December 18, 2008

Prologue

That in the dispensation of the fulness of times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in Him: In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of Him who worketh all things after the counsel of His own will. (Eph 1:10-11)

My theology is Reformed, and I know that some readers will not like that. Nevertheless, it is so. Therefore, when I read the word predestinate above, I read it with the understanding that the incomprehensible God has included in His eternal decree "all things whatsoever that come to pass."

That is the cornerstone of my presuppositional base, from which this blog (and all my writing) springs. However, you don't have to agree with me to read this blog or to benefit from whatever I may have to say here.

You see, I've found that when most folks argue about predestination, they usually want to argue about the first three letters: pre-. That is, whether or not God marked out the believer's destiny from eternity. They do NOT generally want to question whether or not they HAVE a destiny in Christ. For them, it's a given.

And that's the reason you may benefit from what I write, even though you disagree with my presuppositions. That is to say, IF you are in Christ, God has destined you for an incredible inheritance. And this blog is going to address how Christians co-operate with their destiny and calling in this life.

There are many possible points of focus for a blog such as this. In my next post, I will reveal what the focus for the near-term will be.

5 comments:

The Warrior said...

Will you continue discussing predestination or would now be the time to pepper you with questions?

Craig Mutton said...

Go ahead,& ask. I have an uncanny capacity to answer questions, even when I don't know the answers.

Larry DeWein said...

Nice blog Craig! You're bringing back memories of my days at Talbot Seminary in La Mirada, California with the Presbyterian lads!!

The Warrior said...

Okay, then. ;-) About predestination, what do you think it is? I know some believe that ALL is pre-ordained almost to the point of us not having free choice--I see this mostly when they say that we did not choose to believe in God so much as he selected us. I sincerely believe in predestination, but we also have free will and can choose to believe or not to believe in the Bible. At least, that's my take.... It's not such a big deal, just something I think about sometimes.

What do you think?

Craig Mutton said...

Spencer,

I think you'll find the answer to your question in the Tuesday, 12/23 post.